Monday, December 24, 2012

The Compliment

A friend and former colleague of mine, Jim, recently paid me a wonderful compliment.

Connected via Facebook, he has been reading my blog posts (I share each post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn).  In a recent message, Jim told me about a time when someone told him that he was "always thinking about something."  Jim, a retired math teacher, considered that a great compliment and wanted to send the same compliment my way.

I had never considered "always thinking about something" as a compliment before.  Maybe my habit of reflecting on my art and sharing my ideas with others has caused me to take my own practice for granted.  Never the less, I have a great deal of respect for Jim and will gladly accept his gracious compliment.

Thinking about compliments, here are a few questions upon which you can reflect.

  1. Considering the work you do, what one statement would be the best compliment a student could give to you?
  2. Same question as number 1, but this time replace student with parent.
  3. Same question as number 2, but replace parent with colleague.
  4. When was the last time you paid a compliment to a student of her effort?
  5. When was the last time you paid a compliment to a parent for partnering with you?
  6. When was the last time you paid a compliment to a colleague for helping you out?
In this season of giving, maybe the best gift from you is a well deserved compliment.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...