Friday, July 13, 2012

Edleaders Hangout: Leading changes coming to your school

During these summer months, educational leaders are preparing for the approaching 2012-2013 school year.  In every case, some form of change will "go live" once teachers and students arrive.  These changes can take on a wide range of forms.  


Here are a few examples that may be familiar.





  • Completely new school schedule
  • New technology integration initiative
  • New teachers to replace long-serving, and now retired, faculty members
  • Greater focus and emphasis on already existing programs
  • Small adjustments in multiple operational procedures
  • You, as a school leader, serving in a new role or at a different school
Of course, there are many other possibilities.  However, I have found that most school changes fall into three broad categories:

  1. Something completely new (program, person, procedure) replacing a previous form of the same item
  2. Something new to support an already existing program
  3. Noticeable adjustments to an existing program to highlight its value

Leading the changes in your school is the backdrop to my first ever Edleaders Hangout on Google+.  The Hangout will be held on Tuesday, July 17th at 9 pm EST. The topic will be 


"What one thing do you want to change or highlight about your school next year and what do you need to get started now?"

I performed a practice hangout recently, so I believe I have the procedure down.  Also, I anticipate using Hangouts On Air to record the event and post the video on this blog as well as on my YouTube channel.

In addition, an hour seems quite long (as it does to me in Twitter chats).  So, I am planning this first Edleaders Hangout for 30 minutes with the option of extending the hangout up to an hour if participation is robust.   

Maybe we can call any extended time, Edleaders Extra Credit?


I hope you will consider joining the Hangout on Tuesday either as one of the 9 guests that Google+ Hangouts allows to join in via video conference or by contributing to and/or following along from my Google+ stream.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...