It is not only a matter of answering questions.
- are vigilant in seeking opportunities to help.
- expect students to ask good questions.
- are aware of clues that signal lack of understanding.
- are outstanding listeners.
- are flexible.
- serve as "guides" for "lost" students.
- embrace change as a means to add to their instructional "tool box."
- reflect on their daily responses and make adjustments as necessary.
- think themselves successful when they meet the needs of the student rather than finishing a textbook or covering a certain amount of content.
- is able to lead students in active learning that involves skill building as well as content mastery.
An additional note:
Being responsive in one of the 5 factors of an Open House Culture (along with friendly, trustworthy/reliable, interactive, and good presentations).