Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The End Is Near…Thank Goodness!

The end is near!  Are you ready?  Have you prepared yourself for the judgment coming?

Wait, is that a pale horse?  No, just a dusty Ford Mustang. Phew!

Yes, the end is near.  The end of summer vacation that is. 

Thank goodness!

I don’t care much for the summer vacation months.  Don’t get me wrong, I like going on vacation.  I like spending time with my family.  I like getting away for a little while. 

What I don’t like is the quiet in my building.  I work administrators hours during the summer and, frankly, I miss the noise.  I miss the energy.  I miss the unexpected.  In other words, I miss the students.

Students are the life of the school.  The course through the hallways like oxygen rich blood bringing much needed nutrients to the  cells that are our classrooms (that’s cells as in the building blocks of matter, not prison cells!).

I am always uneasy around educators who are SO open about how much they can’t wait for their vacations.  They tweet, email, and Facebook post messages like, “Only 2 more weeks then I am free!”  Sure, we all love a break to recharge, but we love it so that we can be our best. 

Our best for whom?

Our family, our friends, and our students.  Yes, the same students some people couldn’t wait to get away from earlier this summer.

The “I can’t wait for my vacation” attitude often translates in student speak to, “I can’t wait to get away from you.”  Try that on and see if you are eager to return to class.

If the end of summer vacation brings tears to your eyes, I encourage you to reflect on how your outlook shapes your professionalism.  If the end of summer vacation brings deep anticipation, join me in saying:

“The end is near…Thank goodness!”  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...