Monday, March 14, 2011

Reflecting, writing, and taking measurements

Image Source Page: http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/phrase/682/thermometer.html



I began writing this blog almost 8 months ago on July 21, 2010. While I am not sure if the quality of writing has improved all that much (I am my own worst critic), the reasons why I sit down a few times each week to offer my insights has certainly become more clear to me. At first, I did not really have much of a purpose other than to simply add my two cents in the educational blogosphere. That has not changed. I still would like to think that I have something to offer and look forward to the reactions I receive from time to time. The difference, though, is more aligned with what motivates me to write these posts beyond the sense of accomplishment I get once I hit the “publish” button and watch my words go out via blogger, Twitter, and Facebook.
In many ways, my writing taps into what Daniel Pink describes in Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us.  Writing the Art of Education allows me a great forum for autonomy, mastery, and purpose.  Meaning I can write on my own terms, do so as often as I like, and commit to doing so better each time with the goal of learning more about myself as well as possibly helping others.  These are certainly reasons that motivate me to keep writing, but I have found another reason.

The field of education and educational leadership is a very broad field.  It covers a variety of topics from pedagogy to dress code.  Conversations can range from the universal and philosophical to the practical and specific.  It is this diversity of topics that was a major attractor for me to get into education in the first place.  Interesting enough, this diversity has also become a key element to why I write these posts.

When I write, I do so from my own perspective.  I draw upon my own experience and knowledge.  One drawback from doing so is that I understand that my experience and knowledge is contained to just that - MY EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE.  I often wonder how my experiences, ideas, etc. match up with or at least are somewhat consistent with those with different backgrounds.  Thus, my writing is also a way for me to "take the temperature" of the educational spectrum.

Reflecting on one's practice can be a somewhat lonely exercise unless we find a way to share those reflections in a manner that allows us to align our thoughts against a larger point of view.  I appreciate your feedback and look forward to my next post.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...