Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Global collaboration, professional development, and TED-ED

As educators have been exploring how to transform student learning in the 21st century, I believe that we must also examine how professional development form educators should also transform.  Emerging technologies, social networking, and video sharing have all created the possibility for global collaboration.  In many ways, the traditional professional development model of teacher in-service days are counter productive as they do not usually inspire the motivation to follow up on them with any real gains.  In other words, these traditional models do not address what Daniel Pink (author of Drive: The Surprising Truth About what Motivates Us)describes as essential to motivating teachers for continued development – autonomy, mastery, and purpose.  Sharing with others and engaging in professional conversation addresses all 3 of these areas.
Since last year, I have entered into such a professional development model as described above.  Blogging, Facebooking, and Tweeting have been major components to my collaborative effort.  I am also very pleased to announce that I have begun to contribute to another outstanding endeavor, the TED_ED Brain Trust.
In the coming weeks and months, I hope to write more about my experiences with this group.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...