Thursday, December 30, 2010

Interview with the Pre-K student

Recently, I had an occasion to talk to a 5 year old Pre-Kindergarten student about her first year in school.  Below are some highlights from that conversation (her words).  While these may not offer any great insight into school, I always find it insightful to stop and hear what students have to say.  This is especially true of younger students who are just beginning their school journey.

If we are paying attention to them, we may discover a hidden gem among their words.

  • “My favorite thing to do in school is make paper flowers because I like to make paper flowers.”
  • “I would like to teach ballet because I took ballet and liked it.”
  • “On the first day of school I was a little bit grumpy because I didn't know my friends yet.”
  • “I have a lot of friends now.”
  • “When I grow up I want to go to college then be a cowgirl.”
  • “Pre-K is very close to kindergarten.”
  • (Whispering in my ear so that no one else could hear) “I have a secret – I like after-school care.  It’s awesome.”
  • “My favorite activity is having big kids play in the gym with us during PE.”
  • “I love computer class because I get to use computers.”

What nuggets of wisdom can we gather from the opinions of a 5 year old student?  I noticed that almost all of her “likes” were based on things she was allowed to do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...