Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ok, Let Us Begin

Well, here we go.  This initial post on The Art of Education explains the meaning behind "The Art of Education."  When I first began teaching and coaching, I had very little formal teacher training.  What I did have was a desire to do my best and an understanding that I was going to take responsibility for a group of students.  During that time, I began reading a number of books about leadership and strategic thinking.  One book that I read multiple times was The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

The Art of War is considered by many to be one of the most influential collection of writings on military strategy and tactics.  While I did not consider teaching class the same as conducting warfare (though some teachers may argue that it is similar), reading The Art of War helped me reflect on how to take my responsibilities as an educator and apply a strategic approach to performing my job to the best of my ability.

Today, I still recognize the benefits of a strategic approach to developing my teaching craft.  As an administrator, I am often called upon to think strategically and apply sound leadership.  I hope that you find nuggets of wisdom to take with you from this site, The Art of Education.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...